AQUAPONICS EDUCATION FOR SCHOOLS | SYSTEMS & CURRICULUM
Our Aquaponics Education Programs are designed to break from the conventional classroom and immerse students in a world of experiential learning. Imagine yourself back when you were a student. You totter in, sit down, and dust-off a boring textbook. Now imagine yourself being asked to put down that textbook and immerse yourself in the wonders of hands-on science.
Using aquaponics as an educational tool, you’ll be interactively teaching valuable STEM concepts and best of all, you will inspire students with ideas that can really benefit humanity. Aquaponics is a fun and easy way to engage students in sustainable technologies and alternative ways of growing food!
Our programs come with a K-12 STEM curriculum and align with the Next Generation Science Standards. We encourage educators of all grade-levels to grow with aquaponics at their school! Learn more about how you can create a project that educates future farmers and contributes to the sustainability of our planet.
HOW YOU CAN GROW WITH US
We have provided aquaponic systems to over 500 classrooms and have opportunities for new educators to get involved! Get started today by applying for our ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Education Program, an engaging in-classroom experience that uses a turn-key system. Take your students to a new level of learning and let nature do the teaching!
Kits Placed In Classrooms
Purchase Path: 1-2 Weeks
Don’t want to wait? Order your kit today with our Educator Discount! Call our office to place your order. 760.740.1346.
- Purchase Your ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit
- Receive ECO-Cycle & Curriculum Materials
- Review Materials, FAQs, & How To Videos
- Start Teaching Sustainable STEM Concepts!
Grant Path: 3-6 Months
Review Eligibility Requirements
- Teach STEM subjects in a K-12 public school
- Attend a 1-hour workshop on specified date
- Provide photo documentation of set-up kit on an online sharing platform
- Complete follow-up survey within 3 months of training
- Title-1 schools given preference
- Grant does not include shipping or supplies such as 12’’x 24’’ tank, fish, food, or seeds.
- Submit your grant application
- Applicants will be notified by December 1
- Approved teachers will participate in our 2017 Winter Program
Applications are now open – new teachers are encouraged to apply! Our next workshop dates to be announced shortly.
ECO-CYCLE AQUAPONICS EDUCATION PROGRAM
Get started teaching aquaponics with the ECO-Cycle, our easy-to-use indoor garden system. This system is designed to work with a standard 12″ x 24″ fish tank, and will provide your students with a fun, daily reminder of the value of a sustainable food system. Give your students the opportunity to care for aquatic animals while growing healthy veggies they will actually ask to eat!
How Do I Get Started?
There are two ways for teachers to start growing with us. Purchase your ECO-Cycle Kit with a Teacher Discount here on our website, or apply for our grant program if you meet the eligibility requirements.
THE ECO-GARDEN PROJECT
Our ECO-Garden project provided the opportunity for students to design and build aquaponics gardens in ten schools across San Diego County. The benefits of these project-based, sustainable gardens are countless because they give students the chance to explore some of the world’s most pressing issues revolving around our environment and food system.
In addition, tending to aquaponic systems increases students’ comprehension of scientific concepts and provides empowerment for student leadership. Projects like the ECO-Garden promote the development of real-world job skills and critical thinking which meet the criteria for the implementation of Next Generation Science Standards.
Although new builds for the ECO-Garden Project have concluded, ECOLIFE is committed to providing program support and educational visits to our nine schools to help students gain valuable experience in alternative growing methods with an emphasis on green careers, conservation, habitat restoration, and human impact.
Thank you to our funders for supporting this project!
Teachers – ECOLIFE is no longer accepting applications for the ECO-Garden Project. To incorporate aquaponics in your classroom – apply for our ECO-Cycle Aquaponics Kit today or start your own system using our DIY Resources.
- NGSS Program Outline and Standards
- Holistic Support to Your School During & After the Program
- Two workshops on aquaponics, conservation, and sustainable careers
- Design assistance, construction expertise, and maintenance information
- Interactive student platform for communication with ECOLIFE staff
- Building Supplies, Fish, Food, Seeds, Water Quality Testing Kit, Vitamin C Powder, & Plant Media.
Helix High School ECO-Garden
ECO-Garden at Patrick Henry HS
Ready to Learn More?
Download one of our lesson plans, view a brochure, or take a look at how our programs integrate with Next Generation Science Standards.